Over 60,000 homes have been damaged by the disastrous flooding in Louisiana, and more homes were damaged by Hurricane Hermine. Florida Conference church members can help the families in distress.
Bishop Ken Carter invites you to help fill a semi-truck with 1,860 UMCOR cleaning buckets by September 13 for delivery to flood-ravaged Louisiana, or wherever they are needed now. Our goal as Cypress Lake UMC is 75 buckets (or more!) Our buckets will be loaded with those from churches around the conference in Lakeland, and shipped to the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) Sager Brown Depot in Baldwin, La. The director of Sager Brown reports that as fast as kits are coming in, they are going back out to help those affected by the floods, according to Pam Garrison, the Conference’s Disaster Response Coordinator.
“Because the height of the hurricane season is only a couple of weeks away, the Depot is also concerned about replenishing cleaning buckets in the event of another storm anywhere along the Gulf Coast,” she added. “If every church in the conference packaged two to three buckets, we could fill a tractor trailer! If every church packaged five or six, we could fill two tractor trailers,” Garrison said.
How can you help?
- Pick up a bucket from worship on Sunday, September 4, or use one of your own. Click here for a list of what goes in the bucket and watch the video here showing how to pack it.
- Get creative! When purchasing supplies, tell retailers what you’re doing and ask for a discount or donation. What a witness!
- Bring your buckets back on Sunday, September 11.
- Join our cleaning bucket prep party on Sunday, September 11 at 5 pm to get our buckets ready for shipping!
- Cash contributions will help ship buckets to their destinations and provide help where it is needed most. You may mark your offering “Bucket Challenge.”
For questions or more information, contact Pastor Tracie Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at 482-1250. Let’s do this – together!